A player age 13 through 17, who is currently properly registered with USA Hockey, may serve as a student coach. The student coach must be older than the age of the team they will be coaching on.
District Coach in Cheif
- Must attend a training session conducted by the local hockey association or audit a Level 1 clinic (not required to pay nor will they receive certification credit).
- Must always be under the supervision of a carded, screened adult coach during all practices, clinics, try-outs and in the locker room.
- May help out at practices, clinics, try-outs only. (May not participate as a player in scrimmages or games when acting as a STUDENT COACH).
- May not act as a head coach or an assistant coach during practices or games.
- May be on the bench during games with an adult. The STUDENT COACH will count as one of the maximum of four Team Officials allowed on the bench.
- Must wear a helmet with full face shield, gloves and skates while on the ice. Must wear helmet during games while on the bench.
- May only work with players at least one full playing age level below the STUDENT COACH (e.g., a Bantam age player may act as a STUDENT COACH at the Pee Wee, Squirt or Mite level).
- The organization that is using the STUDENT COACH must provide a form indicating on the team on which he/she is participating as a STUDENT COACH, and, if applicable, what team he/she is properly registered/rostered as a player. A model form is available on the usahockey.com website.
- Upon reaching the age of 18, the STUDENT COACH must comply with the USA Hockey Screening Program and meet the USA Hockey Coaching Education Program requirements which will qualify him/her to act as an assistant or head coach.
They must be registered online with USA Hockey, then you can claim them.
- When you are on the team, click to edit it, then click on "Show All".
- It will bring up all the names. Find the student coach's name. and then add them under staff.
- A message will pop up saying they can only student coach and if you want to accept...just click yes.